New Axle-Mounted Hitch
We are now offering a new experimental trailer hitch:
The new hitch mounts partly on the axle instead of only the bike frame.
This new hitch will fit several types of bikes that would normally require a custom hitch, including:
- bicycles with rear disc brakes mounted on the chainstay
- rear-suspension bicycles with a pivot at the rear dropout
- recumbents with rear-sloping chainstays
- monostay uprights and recumbents
- small-wheel bicycles
The hitch mounts more quickly than our frame-mounted hitch on bikes equipped with a quick-release skewer because it has fewer clamps to tighten. This can be a time-saver if you plan to use one hitch on several different bicycles. However, it must be adjusted properly to work well. See the hitch mounting instructions [pdf] for details.
This hitch will fit most bikes equipped with either a quick-release skewer or standard 10mm bolt-on rear axle. It will NOT fit the following types of bicycles:
- "longtail" cargo bikes (Xtracycle, Yuba Mundo, Surly Big Dummy, etc.) - If you have a longtail bike with a side-mounted cargo platform, the platform will usually interfere. We make custom trailer hitches specifically for these types of bikes to solve this problem.
bicycles equipped with "Breezer" style dropouts - The new hitch requires a minimum of 1/2" / 12.5mm radius clearance around the center of the axle to fit properly. This may cause interference on some bikes with a reinforcement rib around the dropout slot.
Consider using our frame-mounted trailer hitch instead if it will fit your frame.
- electric bikes with a rear hub motor - These bikes require a larger hole in the hitch to fit due to their larger axle. Please contact us if you need the hitch customized to fit this situation.
- bicycles with a rear kickstand - The kickstand may or may not interfere with our hitch. Please contact us if this is important to you.
We have tested this hitch on our own bikes as well as those of a few customers and are pleased so far with its performance. However, we do not plan to replace our current frame-mounted hitch with it until we have had more time to test it and received more feedback about it. If you would like to order a trailer equipped with this hitch rather than the standard frame-mounted hitch that is included with the trailer, make a note in the "special instructions" box when you checkout. We will include the new hitch instead and adjust your order total to account for the difference in cost.
If you already have a Bikes At Work trailer and would like to use this axle-mounted hitch with it, you can order it here. Please note this hitch will NOT fit our old truss-frame trailers constructed of round aluminum tubing because the position of the towbar cannot be adjusted. (See the hitch mounting instructions to learn why this is important.)
If you have any questions about this new hitch, please contact us.